Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stuff

September 26, 2008
By Katie

Being in a country where “stuff” is more scarce brings up a lot of questions about what to use and what not to use. We have a car to use on the weekends, but is it ok to be the only people who drive to church? Am I being too extravagant to ask my students to write things down in my class rather than just listen and read what I wrote on the chalkboard in order to save paper and pencils? How often should we shower since water here is scarce? As we are spreading our wings here in Honduras, we are constantly confronted with questions about how we should act and how we should approach the use of the things we have at our disposal. It would be nothing for me to buy a notebook for each kid at school, but in so doing would I set up myself as a person who has stuff to give, and diminish my effectiveness at identifying with the people? There aren’t black-and-white answers to these questions, so Matt and I spend a fair amount of time discussing them and praying about them.

2 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

I know that there have been many groups that visit one of our African partners where the North American participants choose not to shower due to those types of questions. However, in the midst of what they perceive as helpful they are only perpetuating the stereotype that North Americans are dirty, smelly people. A case where I think I'm being helpful and living at community level and really I am detracting from our work.

They are hard questions and I am so glad that you see them and are wrestling with them. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys
It is so interesting to read about life in Honduras. I was going to offer to send paper etc.--but maybe that isn't a good idea. If there is ever a need that you guys think we can help with, just let us know. We will keep prayinf for you to have wisdom and understanding for the Honduran people.

We love your little videos. Keep them coming. We'd love to see pictures of your students, Katie.

Have a good week. Love, Mom and Dad DK