Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Recuperación

My heart is a little heavy this week over what's going on in the Honduran education system (well, heavier than usual). This week is recuperación, which means that all the kids at all levels who did not pass their exams last week need to come back this week until they have passed. At my school, about a third of the kids needed recuperación. They are described as aplazados, "the defered", a word I refuse to use. It seems that these children see themselves as such. Every school in the entire country works like this, and there is no exemption from it for Christian schools. This is not how God sees his children!

In addition, the public school teachers were on strike for over a week earlier this year. The president said they would need to go until the end of November in order to make up for it. From what I understood from a radio broadcast, and what I see in the public schools in our town, it seems that the teachers have ignored this and quit school when they wanted to, shorting the kids of their right to be educated.

I have a new-found love of No Child Left Behind and the harsh consequences that go along with these laws in the United States!

3 comments:

Beckering Family said...

We will be praying for the kids and teachers! What a sad word to be used to describe kids who don't pass. I am sure God will be using you Katie in the lives of all these kids! Glad for the update, hope all else is well! Take care!

Nate said...

Wow, so sad! I'm glad these kids have a loving and nurturing teacher like you Katie. Keep on fighting the good fight.

rubyslipperlady said...

I've been having problems getting to blogspot sites for some reason on my computer but today is a good day.

Praying for continued blessings.

I'm traveling to Uganda tomorrow and will spend a few days with Paul and Joy in first week of Dec. Wish you could be here, too!

hugs to you both!