Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Back to School

By Katie

It's that time of year--everyone's buying their new school uniforms, notebooks and pencils. The neighborhood kids are fighting like they've spent too much time together the past three months. Teachers are busy preparing their classrooms. The school year starts tomorrow!

I'll be helping in the English classroom at Luz y Verdad again this school year. I spent the "summer break" teaching a few of the kids in first and second grade who are struggling readers. During the school year they wear uniforms of tan and brown, but only one wore his in this picture.




The school is a part of Worldwide Christian Schools. You can read a rather vivid description of the school on their webpage. It claims "Hardship is a way of life for this school." I would certainly echo that statement. It has been interesting to see how the summer break has unfolded, and still I'm curious to see who actually shows up to teach tomorrow for the first day.

For those of you who have known me for a while, you might ask yourself why I have a terrible attraction to schools with bizarre qualities. I ask myself the same thing! We do have a new director and a strong board and I'm hopeful to see where they can bring us.

I ask for your prayers for my time there, and for the positive changes that the school needs.

No comments: