Sunday, February 22, 2009

Computer Supplies

By Katie

The school year has started out on a good foot, praise God! The only big surprise for me in the first week was that I will be the computer teacher, teaching one-hour classes each day of the week. I'm glad for the change of format; last year each teacher taught computers for their own class so naturally no one took ownership of the computer lab. But now, after some headaches that come with fixing computers, we're getting closer to starting.

However, I need some replacement parts to get the computers in working order, so here is where you come in. Does anyone have any of the following items sitting around your house from old computers? Would you be willing to donate them to our school?

1. Two mice (can be USB connection or the traditional green plug)
2. Two keyboards (again, USB or purple plug)
3. One power strip
4. One walkman cd player (I found some English CDs in the computer lab that match our textbooks. I can hook up some computer speakers to a walkman to use them).

Money is very tight around the school this year, as I'm sure it is at all schools around the globe. The government in Honduras raised the minimum wage so that Luz y Verdad needs to pay the teachers more just to meet the minimum wage requirements. So, we'll be doing fundraisers to make the ends meet, which means no money is available for any other thing other than salaries.

If any of you have one of these items at home or work that you would be willing to mail down here, please leave a comment or send me an email (mattkatiedekam@gmail.com).

Thanks in advance! We appreciate your help in "bridging the digital divide"!

1 comment:

Katie De Kam said...

When I posted this blog, I also had a few other options I was working on simultaneously, one of which came through for me. So, I no longer need the mice, power strip and keyboards, thanks to a fund some parents of the school pulled together. Thanks!