Thursday, May 28, 2009

Forgiveness mixed with a little encouragement

By Katie

Things have slowed down a bit with the front porch gang lately. I attribute it mostly to HEAT, HEAT, HEAT! It's kind of like January in the Midwest; no one wants to go out too much beacause the weather is disagreable.

The other day I had one girl show up, after waiting without anyone for about 45 minutes. Both Briana and I were hot and tired, so we sort of went through the motions of class. That day we read a short story about how Jesus asks us to forgive people up to seventy times seven times. She asked a few more questions than normal and drew some connections to her own life. At the end of the class, she asked if she could stick around and draw on the board. I said yes and headed out back to do some laundry. After a few minutes she called me to the porch and showed me this picture that she had drawn representing forgiveness.

Sometimes we are blessed in small ways like this. We're reminded that what we do does have an impact, in spite of that fact that we're hot or tired. There's power in the story of the gospel that can speak for itself.

No comments: