Monday, October 26, 2009

We Have Water!!!

By Matt

Yes that's right, the water project in our barrio is finally done and running water comes to our house!
On my birthday (Sunday, Oct 18th) we had a big inauguration party for the water project which included cake, lots of pop, and Tapado Olanchano which is an amazing stew-like dish that Olancho is famous for. To make the tapado someone in the barrio killed a cow, cut it up and put big hunks of it in a huge kettle, then added yucca (cassava), green bananas, sweet ripe plantains, spicy sausage, and a bunch of coconut juice and let it cook slowly over a fire with pepper and spices. Let me tell you that it was just about the best birthday meal I could have asked for. I had to go sleep for a while afterword because it was so heavy!





Here are some pics of the water tower which includes the project title "gift of God" and Psalm 120:1, "I call on the Lord in my distress, and He answers me".

Because the tank is not huge the water is distributed on a schedule (this is very common in Honduras). Water should arrive every other day for a couple hours in the moring.
Diaconia helped out with a little bit of the funding for the project too.
It is really cool to see this neighborhood rally together and raise funds, and then complete such a big project on their own initiative. It was a great birthday.

3 comments:

rubyslipperlady said...

This is sooo awesome! A great birthday, indeed. You future ones may pale in comparison. Enjoy that water flowing from the tap, my friends!

rubyslipperlady said...

This is sooo awesome! A great birthday, indeed. You future ones may pale in comparison. Enjoy that water flowing from the tap, my friends!

Unknown said...

The water tower with a Bible passage on it reminds me of Chandler's "In God we trust" tower that was damaged in the tornado.