Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fundraiser: La Subasta

By Katie

There's a great easy fundraiser that is very common here in Honduras called the subasta. It's a type of silent auction. I recently did one to raise money for the computer lab at Luz y Verdad. The hot item I auctioned was an inflatable swimming pool, perfect for the season since we have entered the very hot very dry season. In other subastas I've been involved in we've auctioned cooking pots, a study Bible, and the very common subasta item; a whole rotiserie chicken.

The subasta is based on using envelopes such as the one below. The person in charge writes the information on the envelope, stamps the official stamp of the organization on it, and gives it to the people to sell. I gave three to every student at the school. You must put in at least 10 Lempiras (50 cents), but if you really want the item, you put in way more.

Then, on the appointed day, the people in charge open all the envelopes and see who put the most money in. I announced the winner at our Father's Day celebration on Friday. Fourth grader Alejandra was the winner.

The students helped raise about $75 dollars for the computer lab. With it I was able to pay myself back for the paint for the classroom walls and I'll also buy one battery/surge protector. The electricity has been going out a lot lately and the problem has already fried one motherboard and a hard drive. Little by little we hope to raise enough money to buy batteries so that all the computers can have an emergency power source.

1 comment:

emilyanne said...

So, is that much stressed over papa in the last photo? Haha, I miss you!