Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tasty Baked Chicken

By Katie

It's time to share a good and easy recipe that my lady friends in the community of Guacoca shared with me. It's baked chicken, but instead of pouring water over the chicken and covering it, pour orange juice and vinegar (maybe totalling a little more than you would have poured on if it were just water). 2 parts OJ to 1 part vinegar, but that's flexible. Salt and pepper to taste. The Guacoca ladies add in achote and other spices, but I don't. The vinegar and orange juice make the chicken just a little sweet and sour. I don't marinate it at all, and often don't even thaw the chicken first.

Here's a picture, in case you've never seen baked chicken before. ;)

Try it and let me know how you like it! The Guacoca ladies will love it if you do. Ever since they made this a few months ago and I asked for the recipe, they have loved to sit and chat with me about recipes and ask how my Honduran cooking is coming along.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are the spices? If I'm going to make it, I want it authentic :-)

Katie De Kam said...

This is where I have a few problems. I know they use achote. After that they told me they use "especias" = spices, available here in a little unmarked plastic bag, so I have little idea what comes in that mix. My guess is cumin and black pepper and maybe a few other things. Good luck!

Katie De Kam said...

PS Sweet blog, Local Cook! And... it took me a minute, but I figured out that the Local Cook also monitors my blog. Keep up the good work, on both fronts :)

emilyanne said...

Mom made this on Sunday, and added potatoes in the crockpot while the chicken was cooking. The potatoes were more tangy than the chicken, and they were wonderful. Thanks for sharing!