Saturday, August 30, 2008

Graduation

Matt and I have spent the last few weeks in Spanish classes. It has been such a blessing to have this time to review Spanish so intensively. The school, Centro Hondureño de Español, prepared us well for the months to come, teaching LOTS of Spanish grammar, along with helpful background like Honduran politics and culture. It was a very rich experience for us.



This picture was taken at our graduation from Spanish school. Pictured here are Laura (director), Lisa (fellow CRWRC intern), Matt and I (Hablando español = speaking Spanish, our graduation t-shirts), Gloria (Katie’s teacher), Maria Elvira (Lisa’s teacher), and Victor (Laura’s husband). Victor has an agriculture degree and has worked with many development organizations in Honduras over the past 20 years. Matt was able to interview him and get some good suggestions and make some great connections for his future work in Catacamas.

The last two weeks I’ve been thinking a lot about the “newcomers” I used to teach in Minneapolis. Man, I don’t know how they did it! I had four solid hours of school every day and then came home, ate lunch, and had no choice but to sleep for a half hour before starting a couple hours of homework. My head was totally filled up! My newcomers in Minneapolis had school all day (no recess) and then immediately after school they had an extra two and a half hours of after-school program. Luckily now I’m at a point where I don’t need naps, but I still don’t think I’m up for ten hours straight in my second language. Little by little, I get better though. Our language-learning continues to be a prayer request.

--Katie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on graduating from your spanish class love the pics and video the food looks great praying for you both daily love dad mom kenzie

Nate said...

Great pictures! Congrats on graduating and we'll continue to keep language and culture adjustments in our prayers as you head out to start your work.

Anonymous said...

Lookin good guys, way to go! We will continue to pray for you as you get started and settled in. Mom said that you really like your house, that's great. How's the weather?

emilyanne said...

Congratulations on graduation! This is going to give you great perspective on teaching English to newcomers to America when you get back. I miss you both too much, so be safe okay?! Also, you should post your address so that people can send you real mail.